Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

I am a convert to the Catholic Church after serving in ordained ministry for more than nine years in another denomination. I hold a bachelor's degree in history, a master's degree in historical theology, and another in systematic theology, and am currently working (very slowly) on my doctorate. I work in Christian Education and Formation and teach at the University level. I am blessed with a wonderful wife and eight great kids! When I'm not studying, reading, or blogging, I enjoy eating and drinking! Like Bilbo Baggins, I have been specializing in food for many years, and my table has a high reputation!

Monday, November 09, 2009

SUBJECT: POLITICS!!!

I'm not usually dreadfully political on this blog -- but this is a big deal to me.

20 years ago today -- the Berlin Wall fell.

On June 12th, 1987, President Ronald Reagan gave the following speech:

"Tear Down this Wall".

Do you remember?

He was mocked at the time by the press and by the pseudo-intelligentsia of the West. We were supposed to appease the Soviet Union. We were supposed to compromise. What about Detente? How dare this "warmonger" use such strong language against our "good friends" in the Eastern Bloc?!

Do you remember?

A little more than two years later, on November 8th, 1989, the Wall fell. Almost immediately, one by one, the nations of Eastern Europe began to break free. The "republics" comprising the USSR began to break free. (Ironically, the 1990 Nobel Peace Prize went, not to Ronald Reagan; not to Margaret Thatcher; not to the Servant of God Pope John Paul II (the Great) -- but to General Secretary Mikael Gorbachov!)

It began 20 years ago today.

And where is our President?

Where?

Why is he not in Berlin?

What are his priorities?

This is not a "Left vs. Right" issue. This is not a "Conservative vs. Liberal" issue. This is a day of rejoicing in freedom -- all throughout Europe.

And our President -- ostensibly the "Leader of the Free World" -- is absent.

What a shame.

Papa Z.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home