Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

I am a convert to the Catholic Church after serving in ordained ministry for more than nine years in another denomination. I hold a bachelor's degree in history, a master's degree in historical theology, and another in systematic theology, and am currently working (very slowly) on my doctorate. I work in Christian Education and Formation and teach at the University level. I am blessed with a wonderful wife and eight great kids! When I'm not studying, reading, or blogging, I enjoy eating and drinking! Like Bilbo Baggins, I have been specializing in food for many years, and my table has a high reputation!

Friday, August 19, 2005

SUBJECT: POLITICS!!!

Well the so-called "BTK" killer has been sentenced to 10 life sentences. The earliest he could get out of prison is 40 years from now. Since he is 60 years old, this seems highly unlikely. An evil monster is off the streets, and the sentence seems just.

Why, then, do I write today?

It is on the subject of "Victim Impact" statements. Prior to the sentencing, families of the victims made statements in court concerning how Dennis Rader's crimes had affected them. Supposedly, such statements are to help provide closure for the families. In my experience, however, much of the time these statements merely provide a forum for angry, hurt people to hurl invective. And I truly wonder if this is healthy.

Please, please don't get me wrong. Dennis Rader is an evil monster and is getting his just desserts. My guess is, is that he is going to have a rather unpleasant time of it in prison.

I am not a shrink -- and have no desire to play one on TV -- but as someone with many years of ministerial experience, I question if such statements really bring closure, or a "cathartic moment". Rather, I have real concern for the spiritual and psychological well-being of these individuals. Do they truly aid the healing process?

I would love to hear from clergy and/or counselors on this point.

Papa Z

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger David Zampino said...

An excellent and well-reasoned comment. THANKS!!!

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home