Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

I am a convert to the Catholic Church after serving in ordained ministry for more than nine years in another denomination. I hold a bachelor's degree in history, a master's degree in historical theology, and another in systematic theology, and am currently working (very slowly) on my doctorate. I work in Christian Education and Formation and teach at the University level. I am blessed with a wonderful wife and eight great kids! When I'm not studying, reading, or blogging, I enjoy eating and drinking! Like Bilbo Baggins, I have been specializing in food for many years, and my table has a high reputation!

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

SUBJECT: FOOD AND DRINK!!!

Okay -- now for something a bit lighter!

Readers of my blog will know that my wife's father passed recently. It's weird, but the positive thing about family tragedy is that one actually gets to see family and loved ones one normally does not get to see! This past trip to Maryland was no exception.

I'm a big fan of the Food Network (which probably explains my waist size!). One of my favorite shows is "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives". Well, while in Baltimore, my wife's sister and her husband took us to one of the restaurants featured in an episode of that show.

The food was terrific. Incredible veal sliced over pasta with a cream sauce -- and topped with crabmeat. YUM!!!

BUT, dear reader, a word of advice!

NEVER order a mixed drink in a diner -- no matter if said diner was featured on a famous television show or not!!!

It was late in the evening (9:00+) when we finally got to the diner (coming straight from the airport) and my brother-in-law (who is very much like myself in many respects) decided that a round of drinks would be a good idea. Matt ordered a Tanqueray Martini, straight up, very dry, with olives -- and I did likewise. We each received a shot glass full of straight dry vermouth! Matt patiently explained to the waiter (whose English was not very good) "Tanqueray". We each received another shot glass -- full of Chardonnay! Finally, in desperation, Matt asked for a shot glass of straight Beefeater's, hoping that he would finally be understood! The waiter returned with two shot glasses filled with room-temperature Beefeater's, with which, using ice from our water glasses and the vermouth, we were able to assemble -- at our table -- something remotely resembling our (by this time desperately needed) martinis!

Oh well!

Papa Z

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Zagloba said...

It was good to get you over to the house so you could make us a proper martini.

If this priest thing doesn't work out, a good mixologist will always be in demand.:)

Hope everyone is over the virus.

Give them a hug from their avuncular uncle.

Matt

8:45 AM  
Blogger JTKlopcic said...

We went to the same diner, but we were a bit disappointed. The wait staff was great, but the food was just OK. I think I ordered a gyro, but I much prefer the one from the Sunshine Grille just up the road in Fork.

DDD should take a trip there for some real Greek food!

9:17 AM  
Blogger stlouismb said...

Dear writer, I am curious as to the name of the diner.

I will be returning to Baltimore soon and hope to stop by. I won't order a martini, I promise.

BTW, I ate at the Sunshine Grille my last visit.

Peace,
Mike in STL

8:21 AM  
Blogger David Zampino said...

It was "The Broadway Diner". We ate there twice: once on the occasion mentioned and a few days later for Sunday breakfast. I had an Italian omelet: Italian sausage, onions, peppers, and mozzarella cheese. YUM!!!

But skip the mixed drinks . . .

BTW, the diner was featured on "Diners, Drive-ins, and Drives" -- one of my FAVORITE Food Network shows.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home