Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

I am a convert to the Catholic Church after serving in ordained ministry for more than nine years in another denomination. I hold a bachelor's degree in history, a master's degree in historical theology, and another in systematic theology, and am currently working (very slowly) on my doctorate. I work in Christian Education and Formation and teach at the University level. I am blessed with a wonderful wife and eight great kids! When I'm not studying, reading, or blogging, I enjoy eating and drinking! Like Bilbo Baggins, I have been specializing in food for many years, and my table has a high reputation!

Sunday, November 27, 2011

SUBJECT: RELIGION!!!!!!!

Happy New Year!

Today is the First Sunday of Advent in the Year of Grace 2012!

Today is also the day when the Revised Translation of the Roman Missal is finally implemented.

While realizing that the Revised Translation is controversial in some circles, and while also realizing that no translation is -- or can ever be perfect -- this represents a dramatic improvement in the English text.

Being the brilliant theologian that I am (grin!) I greatly appreciate the revised texts, especially in the Penitential Act, the Nicene Creed, and the Invitation to Communion.

Mass today was, for me, a very moving event. Not only did I have to pay closer attention to the responses of the people, I also paid closer attention to the prayers of the priest. Here is an example:

Here is the OLD text for the Collect for the 1st Sunday of Advent:

All-powerful God,
increase our strength of will for doing good
that Christ may find an eager welcome at his coming
and call us to his side in the kingdom of heaven.

Here is the NEW, REVISED text we used today:

Grant your faithful, we pray, almighty God,
the resolve to run forth to meet your Christ
with righteous deeds at his coming,
so that, gathered at his right hand,
they may be worthy to possess the heavenly kingdom.

WOW!

What a powerful difference!

I look forward with eager anticipation hearing the revised collects, prefaces, and texts as the year progresses.

All Advent Blessings to my 7.35 readers,

Papa Z.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home