Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

I am a convert to the Catholic Church after serving in ordained ministry for more than nine years in another denomination. I hold a bachelor's degree in history, a master's degree in historical theology, and another in systematic theology, and am currently working (very slowly) on my doctorate. I work in Christian Education and Formation and teach at the University level. I am blessed with a wonderful wife and eight great kids! When I'm not studying, reading, or blogging, I enjoy eating and drinking! Like Bilbo Baggins, I have been specializing in food for many years, and my table has a high reputation!

Friday, December 12, 2008

SUBJECT: RELIGION!!!

It is with great sadness that I announce to my (six) readers the death this morning of Avery, Cardinal Dulles, SJ. He was 90 years old.

Cardinal Dulles was arguably the most significant American theologian of the century, and possibly the foremost ecclesiologist in the world. Indeed, we even used his "Models of the Church" at Oral Roberts University!

I had the great privilege of meeting Cardinal (then Father) Dulles while I was a student at Nashotah House. We had a academic convocation each November, and Fr. Dulles was one of the featured speakers. We had just suffered through an interminable (and awful) address by some retired Episcopal bishop. Fr. Dulles was next. Very diplomatically, very kindly -- and VERY thoroughly, Fr. Dulles absolutely demolished the previous speaker. So thoroughly, in fact, that our Systematic Theology/Liturgy professor at the seminary (who was more sympathetic, I'm afraid, to the heretical bishop than to Fr. Dulles) visibly extremely uncomfortable! It was a joy to behold.

Following the convocation, I had the honor to ride back to the airport with Fr. Dulles. I am most privileged to have in my personal collection several of his books, which he graciously signed for me.

Cardinal Dulles's death will leave an incredible void in theological circles -- and, no doubt, among his Jesuit brothers. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God, rest in peace.


Papa Z

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Shana said...

Wow, so gloomy here lately! Hopefully something good will happen soon that you can blog about ;) J/k :D I hope everyone is doing well, Merry Christmas!

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home