Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

I am a convert to the Catholic Church after serving in ordained ministry for more than nine years in another denomination. I hold a bachelor's degree in history, a master's degree in historical theology, and another in systematic theology, and am currently working (very slowly) on my doctorate. I work in Christian Education and Formation and teach at the University level. I am blessed with a wonderful wife and eight great kids! When I'm not studying, reading, or blogging, I enjoy eating and drinking! Like Bilbo Baggins, I have been specializing in food for many years, and my table has a high reputation!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

SUBJECT: RELIGION!!!!!!! AND MUSIC!!!!!!!

Wherein Papa Z rants . . .

Advent is upon us, and Christmas is near. Some of the most beloved church music will be sung over the next 6-8 weeks. Advent Lessons and Carols; Christmas Lessons and Carols; "Messiah" Sing-Alongs, etc., will be enjoyed by many.

HOWEVER, WOE to you who thinks that you actually know the words of your favorite Christmas Carol by heart! Your Missalette publishers know better than you do! Inclusive language -- not only horizontal, but vertical -- is now the norm! I know, I know, we mustn't hurt anyone's feelings by actually using phrases like "God made Man" or "Born to raise the sons of earth" or "God in Man made manifest". Better, of course, to artificially contort beloved texts in order to utterly confuse people in the name of "political correctness"!

To top it all off, the liturgical contortionists at GIA edit texts differently from those at OCP (who edit texts differently from Word, etc.) So there is no continuity even amongst the revisionists!

If modern day hymn-writers (and I'm using the term VERY loosely) want to compose politically correct, inclusive-language un-singable music for the rest of the year, I suppose that can't be helped. (There's a reason why Catholics don't sing -- but that's another post!) But for Christmas? Please just leave us alone!

Advent Blessings,

Papa Z.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home