Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

I am a convert to the Catholic Church after serving in ordained ministry for more than nine years in another denomination. I hold a bachelor's degree in history, a master's degree in historical theology, and another in systematic theology, and am currently working (very slowly) on my doctorate. I work in Christian Education and Formation and teach at the University level. I am blessed with a wonderful wife and eight great kids! When I'm not studying, reading, or blogging, I enjoy eating and drinking! Like Bilbo Baggins, I have been specializing in food for many years, and my table has a high reputation!

Saturday, October 20, 2007

SUBJECT: BASEBALL!!!

I am not particularly a fan of the New York Yankees as a team. This being said, some of the greatest ballplayers to ever play the game have played all or part of their careers with this storied franchise -- including many of my personal favorites:

Babe Ruth

Lou Gehrig

Joe DiMaggio

Yogi Berra

Mickey Mantle

Reggie Jackson

Catfish Hunter

. . . and the list goes on.

However, I have also long believed that the ownership of the Yankeess has, for decades, been arrogant, shortsighted, and meddling -- to the detriment of the team in particular -- and all of baseball in general.

The recent forced departure of Joe Torre is the latest example.

12 seasons -- 12 playoff appearances -- 4 World Series Championships.

The ownership has taken a pathetic "But what have you done for me lately" attitude -- and one of the finest, classiest, most knowledgable baseball men alive today is out of a job.

Good luck, Joe Torre -- you deserved better than you got.

Papa Z

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home